The Official Blog of Absopure Water Company
Can Water Cure Hiccups?
Can water cure hiccups?
Everyone has been plagued by the mysterious, uncomfortable phenomenon that is hiccups, often at the most inopportune times. Over the years, hundreds of different techniques have been suggested to get rid of them – drinking water being one of the most common.
The short answer – no, water is not a definitive cure for hiccups (in fact, there is no definitive scientific cure). But there are effective ways of drinking water that often prove successful.
If you have the hiccups, here are some of the best water drinking strategies to follow.
- The Nose Pinch – Open a bottle of water or pour yourself a glass. With one hand, pinch the end of your nose. With the other, take a long, slow drink from the bottle or glass.
- The Ear Plug – Place a long straw into your bottle or glass of water. Then, plug both your ears and take a drink.
- The Deep Breath – Wait for a hiccup, and immediately inhale deeply for 5 seconds. Then, drink as much water as you can before slowly exhaling.
- The Upside-Down – Safely get into a comfortable upside-down position. Then, carefully take a long drink of water.
- The Head Tilt – Take a sip of water, but don’t swallow it right away. Instead, tilt your head as far back as you can, and carefully swallow your water.
- The Rapid Fire – Drink your water by taking very small, quick sips. Make sure to drink the whole glass or bottle of water! Afterwards, take long, deep breaths.
- The Spoonful of Sugar – Pour water into a glass and place two tablespoons of sugar inside. Then, slowly drink until your hiccups have subsided.
Test out one or all of these water drinking strategies the next time you get hiccups, and see what works best for you!
What are your most effective ways of curing hiccups with water? Share your suggestions in the comments below!